Results to Date

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Training plan for next year

I am really making an effort at putting together a plan for next year.  I have to admit to feeling like I pretty much "phoned in" Ironman this year.  I didn't swim much at all.  I rode a decent amount (especially long rides at the end) but my training lacked a focus on speed and strength.  Running was ok but not great.  Like the rides I think did every long run I think except for the heat and humidity induced walking in Cabo San Lucas but I skipped a number of weekly speed workouts.  Strength training was non-existant as was stretching.
How did I ever finish the race?
So here are my training goals (this is a work in process)...
Bike - Long base ride Saturday with Monday and Wednesday intervals and Thursday threshold rides.  These will be done as rides to work usually so there will be some base training in the afternoon.  Now honestly I skip at least one of these per week but the rides home make up for it.  Summers here are a bear to ride home in but if you don't take a lot of time off you get used to it quick.  Although it is hot the ride in is generally OK even in the Summer months here.  I can clean up pretty well with a towel or if I get to the gym to swim that works as well.
Run - Long base runs on Sunday with Tuesday interval and Friday threshold runs.  I have written extensively about the benefits of ice baths and let me say that my advocacy of these has not waivered.  Pretty much I think ice baths have prevented injury to me for the past 4 months.  Lately I've been doing my weekday runs on a treadmill.  I enjoy it a lot and the weather here seems cold, although I realize that's a relative term to those of you in Alaska.
Swim - Monday threshold; Wednesday long, slow, and steady; Friday interval. 
Are you sensing a patter here.  This isn't rocket science.
Joe Friel's latest work suggests that I should swap the Saturday and Sunday.  Run on Saturday and ride on Sunday.  Something to do with acute v. chronic fatigue.  I guess that the long ride that you do on Saturday beats up your legs a lot and so you don't get the best possible workout on your Sunday run because you aren't fresh enough.  I think my biggest hurdle here would be that I would miss a lot of church on Sunday and that wouldn't fly with Katie.  Plus, nobody else that I know rides on Sunday.  Look around, you see more runners on Sunday and more riders on Saturday.
My big concern here is swimming.  This should be the easy one and here's where I lack will power.  I belong to a gym right by the office so it's no big deal to go out at lunch and grab a swim but inevitabally I end up getting Chinese food with everyone instead which explains my 1:43 swim time this year.
Ideally this is what a week would look like:
Monday - Ride in early and grab a swim and shower at the gym before work or swim at lunch.  Ride home.
Tuesday - Run before work hit the weights after work.
Wednesday - Ride in early and grab a swim and shower at the gym before work or swim at lunch.  Ride home.

Thursday - Drive to Mike's and ride in early with him and grab a swim and shower at the gym before work or swim at lunch.  Leave my bike at Mike's house.
Friday - Run to Mike's then drive in with him and ride my bike home and hit the weights after I get home.
Saturday - Long ride.
Sunday - Long run. 
What this plan is really designed to do is get me as much time as I can training without sacrificing any family or work time.  Most of the summer even my long rides get me home by noon and if I get out of the house early enough I am home from my long run before anyone even wakes up.
Anyway that's the plan.  It's not very flexible though and I end up missing workouts when something goes wrong like having to drive on a ride day because of a meeting.  Days like that I just have to focus on getting out of bed early and getting a ride in before work.  It's not impossible, I just have to make it happen.