Results to Date

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cute story

I can't remember the last time I had a flat tire.

I used to get them all the time. I couldn't go more than 2 rides without one. When I started riding in Flagstaff that went down to one ride. There are these tiny, tiny wires on the road that are the remnants of truck tires when they shred. They are like little needles and a bike tire is a magnet for them.

I switched to Continental Gatorskin tires and Performance puncture resistant tubes. That was a couple years ago and I have had maybe one flat since then.

Oh, wait. Mike (the guy I carpool with) suggested that I do Ironman last November with lighter and faster tires and tubes. I did so without incident. Two rides later I got a flat and switched back to the Gatorskins.

Yesterday we drove back from Flagstaff in the morning and I rode to work. When I went to leave; you guessed it, I had a flat. I went to change the tire but at some point I think I loaned my spare to someone and never replaced it so I was stuck waiting for a ride home from work. Fortunately my sister-in-law Vicki works right by here so she picked me up.

I ran this morning and a really nice thing happened. I was on my second recovery jog and I was trying to figure out how I was so close to home. I realized that I only had one more interval left. That's the first time I ever felt good enough to think I had another inverval left in me.

Ankles hurt a bit now.