Results to Date

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Do school bus drivers drink on the job?

I was at a stop sign playing with my phone/mp3 player when a school bus came up behind me. I was way over to the right, not quite on the curb but just next to it. The bus stops behind me and just sits there. I try to waive him around but he just sits there behind me. So I scoot over to the curb and he goes around me.

I'm paying attention to the phone when all of a sudden something touches my bike. I look up and it's the bus! Jag didn't swing out wide enough so if he goes any further he's going to crush me against the curb. What an ass. I'm not even yelling at the guy, I'm just shocked that he's got a license. So I pick the bike up and move it off the street and he pulls forward. The bus jumps up on the curb when he makes the turn.

It was like 30 degrees this morning when I left the house. I felt OK except for my face which which was exposed but other than that it was cool but comfortable.

I had two really cool moments on the ride this morning. The first was as I rode through a golf course. The sun was just getting ready to come up so the sky was a brilliant red. The green grass was white with frost and all the water hazards were steaming creating this surreal effect. I paused my mp3 so that the only sound I could hear was the whir of my chain. It was very zen and peaceful.

Second, my workout today was mostly at level two but I had to do some hills and I was allowed to let my heart rate rise while climbing. So I came up on this 1.5 mile road that just climbs at a reasonable rate but just keeps going up. The road goes South and out to the East you have a clear view of the mountains. The sun was just starting to peak out. A red ball rising in a clear sky. So I start to hammer it and the 80's song "Opportunity" comes on my phone. I spun out gear after gear until I got to the top. My heart rate was darn near maxed out but breathing the cold air felt cleansing. Of course what you don't realize when you are climbing is that you are beginning to sweat. This becomes apparent to you when you begin to descend and that cold air feels like an open refrigerator door. Brrr.