Results to Date

Friday, December 08, 2006

I am soooooo sick

I never get sick. Everybody that sees me keeps saying, "I can't remember the last time you were sick." I remember. A little over three years ago I caught a cold similar to this one. Paige was a newborn and Katie wouldn't let me hold her. I was bathing in Purell.

So how stupid am I? Tuesday I flew to Seattle. I went out to dinner with everyone in the office up there and had a great time. I didn't get a chance to run before dinner. I'm not so naive as to think that I would get anything in that night after dinner but I thought maybe I might get a run or maybe some time on a stationary bike the next morning.

Trouble is everybody said that I had to leave the hotel by 5:00 am to beat traffic so that I wouldn't miss my 8:30 flight. So I got up at 4:30 am. I felt way better than I had any right to feel. I always feel like crap after I drink champagne and I think I drank and entire bottle by myself. That was in addition to the several beers that I had with dinner. UGH.

Anyway I got back Wednesday and I could feel a cold coming on. The flight was pretty miserable and my ears really plugged up. I went to work that afternoon and really hit the weights hard when I got home. Chad has given me some good stuff to work on to strengthen my back so I can really rock the swim.

I kind of had a panic attack at work Wednesday because I hadn't done anything for 2 days and I'd missed a run which always concerns me. My Tuesday run was designed to be kind of difficult - 25 minutes at level 3 with a long warm up and 10 minute cool down at level 1. That's way above anything I run at usually. I really felt bad about not doing it.

So after I lifted I was playing with Paige and at 8:00 pm I just kind of fell asleep in her playroom on the floor. She ignored me and just continued playing. I woke up at 9:00, put her to bed and decided to do my Tuesday run. AWESOME!!! Perceived level of effort was pretty easy. I had no trouble keeping my HR in level 3 and I went pretty fast. Timed it a little wrong and had to run a little further than I expected but I ended up doing a 10k in about 53 minutes.

Now the stupid part. Thursday was supposed to be just a 50 minute aerobic run with 25 minutes in level 2. I got up and did just that. Even though I could definitely tell I was getting sick. Perceived level of effort: easy. But my HR was all over the place and my speed was crap!! DUH! Then at lunch I did 1,200 meters in the pool.

Let's see what I did wrong.

1. Not supposed to run 2 days in a row, let alone 2 six mile runs 7 hours apart.
2. Not supposed to train when you are sick. Give your body time to rest and heal.
3. Not getting nearly enough sleep.

I'm exhausted and should stay in bed but I have to get month end out of the way.